Monday, January 21, 2008

Borscht


I have made borscht tonight, I'm just simmering it now before giving it a bit of a blitz.

The beetroot isn't homegrown unfortunately, but the cabbage is. I love how cabbage looks when you cut into it: like marble.



I softened onion in a pan, added the cabbage and beetroot (about half the amount of cabbage to beetroot, by weight) added a tablespoon of cider vinegar, a bay leaf, and some salt and pepper, and then added stock and am simmering for an hour or so. I'll leave it to cool a bit, before blitzing in the blender, and then reheat before eating and serve with a blob of yoghurt or sour cream.

I think I'll make some red coleslaw, and some braised cabbage with the other cabbage and a half I have left.

1 comment:

Matron said...

Inspiring! I am in the mood for home made soup at the moment. This will be my next effort, thanks.