Friday, May 04, 2007

Tomatoes and stuff

Flowers! Only on the bought tomato plants but at least it would seem we will get tomatoes this year.

When I went today there were open flowers on 3 of the 4 plants - the plum looks like it has quite a few trusses forming, the others 1 or 2 so far.

Looking at the plants from the seeds we planted it looks like it will be ages until they get to this stage, but then I remember these plants were tiny 80p ones only a few weeks ago.

The greenhouse had got to a ridiculous 39.9˚C today, which I think is a bit much even for tomatoes, so I put up some more shade fabric. It is already over the windows, but I draped a bit more from the ceiling. Whoever built the greenhouse didn't really include much in the way of ventilation, there are 2 small vents in one corner but everything else is sealed tight. I guess we will need to add vents in the roof at some point but for now I'm just trying to shade it all as much as possible.

No comments: