Sunday, February 03, 2008

Artichokes are go!


Well we got ourselves organised and planted the J. Artichokes today. We made a separate bed last year as there was a wasted bit of space at one side of the allotment, so we figured that was a good space for them. It is a bit sheltered from the wind and also not connected to any other bed, so volunteer ones next year (which seem to be guaranteed from what people say).

We also dropped off our 2 new fruit bushes, bought from Lidl for 99p each. We got raspberry, gooseberry, redcurrant and white currant last year. They all did well and we got lots of fruit off them, so we decided to add blackberry to the mix. They will go into the hedge on the western edge of our plot, which is where moved our tayberry to last week. Edible hedge here we come.

3 comments:

kate said...

It's great that you've got your artichokes planted. I am eyeing that blackberry label and wish, oh how I wish, that I had some blackberry bushes. They are my favourite berries.

urbanbumpkin said...

I love them too particularly in an apple pie. Don't think I'll get anything off it this year (it is just one short stem) but next year will be good!

Pepette said...

Funny, I just posted about Jerusalem Artichokes - I'm sure you will enjoy growing them and eating them !

And as for the fruit bushes from Lidl - what a bargain! - all ours came from there last year and I couldn't resist a blueberry one this weekend.