Monday, February 11, 2008

true leaves

I'm quite excited today, my tomato seedlings have started to get their true leaves.

Only one has died before getting to this point, the Banana Cream. I remember not having much luck with that last year, it took ages to germinate, so I'm assuming it needs much higher temperatures. I'll leave it til later in the year.



The others are looking strong and healthy, if still tiny. I got worried about night temperatures after the Banana Cream started to shrivel so I put plastic bags (with vent holes poked in the top) over the pots. They look a lot happier since I did that. I whip the bags off to let them have a bit of air during the day.

4 comments:

Pepette said...

That IS exciting! :)
I need to transplant my Moneymaker seedlings soon as they seem to be reaching for the sky in the heated propagator.
I really like the plastic bag tip - will definetelty remember that !

urbanbumpkin said...

Mine were really leggy too, but once I had planted them quite deep they seemed to do fine.

Matron said...

Yes isn't it exciting! be careful they don't suffer with 'damping off' that is when it is a bit too warm and wet and they catch a mouldy fungus. Should be fine on your windowsill in the sunshine.

urbanbumpkin said...

Good point Matron, I will make sure to keep airing them during the day. I forgot yesterday.