Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fruitilicious

So,


raspberries . . .

blackberries . . .



strawberries . . .

and rhubarb!


As you can see it was a very fruity day yesterday. The two Lidl blackberries went into what I am trying to turn into a (mostly) edible hedge - I'm trying to introduce more fruit (hopefully some Blackthorn next) and then I will gradually remove the Firethorn. Four autumn fruiting raspberry canes went in next to the old ones, and the strawberry runners that we potted up last year had their old dead leaves trimmed; the new leaves they are putting on look lovely and bright and green.

And last but not least our old friend the rhubarb has started pushing up some lovely pink tips. It is a very sheltered position compared to our other crowns, they have also put up a few tiny tips, but they are nowhere near as big or pink. I think it may not be too long before we are harvesting rhubarb again.

Mmmmm crumble.

6 comments:

Pepette said...

Hello! it sounds as if we had similar weekends, sorting out fruit bushes and strawberry runners! :)
Just out of interest, what are your autumn fruiting varieties and how did the old ones do last year? I'm doing a bit of research before I go out and buy some ...

urbanbumpkin said...

I'm afraid I can't remember the variety of the autumn one. It was from Dobbies and was £5.

The old ones were great, they were there when we got the plot last Feb and we just cut out the canes that had fruited and they did brilliantly. They had plenty of new growth, so I'm hoping they will be good this year too.

The Lidl raspberry we got from Lidl last year was a late one, I don't know if all of them are.

I've been coveting some from the Ken Muir catalogue, including the golden ones.

Pepette said...

Thanks for the info!
Funny that, I received the Ken Muir catalogue on saturday morning ... talk about good timing!
Got some strawberries from them last year but the raspberries seem quite expensive compared to what I have seen elsewhere ... decisions, decisions!

Pepette said...

I wasn't very happy with Ken Muir as they had ran out of the variety I wanted (Guarigette, early fruiting variety which I bought for sentimental value as they're the variety we use to get back home from the local farmer) and sent us Elsanta instead ... But in the end, the fruits were very tasty and made up for the initial disppointment! Not sure I'll try and get some Guarigette now as I've got so many runners from last year.
Actually, if you're not too fussed by varieties, I have lots of spare ones you could have if you want...?

Pepette said...

Sorry, wrong spelling : Gariguette. You'd think I'd know how to spell french varieties wouldn't you?

Pepette said...

I'll bring some of the runners next time we're both in then!

I'm all set for peas but I forgot to order parsnips seeds so I would quite happily take some of your hands if you have too many?